In 1913 the Heron sisters Effie, Ethel and Jean organized a Sunday school in their farm house. The first class was held on 28 September 1913. This event is regarded as the beginning of St James Presbyterian Church. In 1914 the North Regina Congregation (St James) is mentioned in the Presbytery of Regina minutes of the Presbyterian Church. A community hall (which later became the turkey hatchery) was used as a meeting place. In 1921 a church from Tregarva was brought to North Regina. The Presbyterian and Methodists in that area had joined together to form a Union Church, and so the Presbyterians did not need their building. The little church was brought to 213 Edward Street cross country in November of that year on a sled pulled by horses. The church had theatre seats, a pump organ, and a wooden stove. There was also an outhouse on the property. In 1925 the congregation became part of the new United Church of Canada. Some improvements were made to the building in the late 1940’s after World War II. This included a new roof, adding a basement and attaching a building known as the Scout Hut. After the Village of North Regina became part of the City of Regina in 1950 the development of the area grew. In 1963 a portable building was moved to the present site on Sherwood Drive where services were held for adults and Sunday school was held in the old building on Edward St. After many Fun Fairs, Teas, Fall Suppers etc, to raise money a new building was proposed. On September 4, 1966 Harry Stone, among others performed the sod turning for the new sanctuary. The official opening was 30th of April 1967. For about two years the church was used by St Mary's Roman Catholic Church (later to be Holy Trinity) while they built their own church further up Sherwood Dr. In October of 1975 the interior of St James was heavily damaged by fire. Holy Trinity offered its’ church for Christmas Eve service in 1975 to our congregation. An expansion to the church was planned in 1983 and was completed by February 1984. In 1999 St Johns United Church closed and many members joined St James. In 1999 it also became an Affirming Ministry - the second in Saskatchewan. In 2009 a sanctuary renovation began to update the church. In 2012 the congregation of Rosemont United closed, and some members transferred to St. James. In September of 2013 St James hosted a Homecoming and celebrated 100 years as a congregation. In 2015 Zion United closed and St. James received members from this congregation.
St James Leadership Through the Years
1914-1926 No list of ministers is available for the North Regina Church. According to Mr. Harry Stone early ministers included Mr. Madill, Mr. Laing, and Mr. Rice who served St. James plus Condie and Rosemont, travelling by horse. 1926 - Rev. D.G. Rice 1930-1933 Rev. S.B. East- also served Chalmers and Rosemont 1934-1941 Rosemont, Wascana, and St James formed on Charge 1942-1945 St James served by Rev. Wiliam Lloyd from Rosemont 1947-1949 Mrs Agnes Groome (supply) served from February 1947 to October 1949 1950-1951 Rev. S.A. Harry 1952-1953 Rev. V.A. Wilkinsom 1954-1959 Rev. James McMurtry (retired supply) 1960-1961 Supplied from St. Johns Rev. Boyd Beckel 1962-1964 Supplied for Balgonie Pastor W.J. Rees 1965-1966 Pastor W.J. Rees as St James minister 1967-1977 Rev. Bruce Wartman 1975-1986 Rev Tom Powell 1978 (Spring) Rev. Joyce Dicken 1978-1991 Rev. Rodney Francis 1980-1984 Marilyn Perry 1988-1999 Rev. Mark Wartman 1991-2003 Rev. Sharon Davis 2004- Rev. Ken Powers 2006-2010 Rev. Robin Osborne 1999-Present Rev. Laura Sundberg 2015-Present Rev. Diane Robinson
Many thanks to Janet Sheppard Croissant for all of her work archiving the history of St James.